Re: large feathered dinosaur?

> A person attempting to subscribe to the list wrote to me that he
heard
> a partial radio report of a 48 foot dinosaur skeleton found recently,
> possibly in northern Russia.  Said skeleton was supposed to have
some
> indication of feathers.
>
> Does anybody recognize any grains of truth in the above?
>
> --
> Mickey Rowe     (rowe@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu)

Yes.  It was found to be the remains of a decomposing sperm-whale.
The feathers being the remains of the muscle tissue.  At least that is
the one I heard of.  There are other instances where 'dinosaurs' have
been washed-up or seen at sea, and they usually turn out to be some
decomposing corpse of something else such as a basking shark, a
whale or some other such thing.  It was not fossilized! Yet again the
press jumping to impossible conclusions:-)

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology
Hunterian Museum
University of Glasgow
email: NCLARK@museum.gla.ac.uk

The first law of Geology is the law of supposition.
(Geological Howlers - ed. WDI Rolfe)