Re: Deinonychus pronounciation

In message Mon, 31 Oct 1994 12:21:43 -0500,
  rowe@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu (Mickey Rowe)  writes:

The first time I heard Afrovenator pronounced, it
> was af-ro-VEN-uh-tur.  On _The New Explorers_ it was pronounced
> af-ro-ven-AY-tur.  I presume that the latter has Paul Sereno's stamp
> of approval, so that's the pronunciation I'll stick with

I can confirm that Sereno pronounces it af-ro-ven-AY-tur.

> Getting off of the subject of pronunciation... I was at AMNH on
> saturday.  Mononykus was the principle attraction drawing me to the
> museum, and I was quite disappointed that nobody in the whole bloody
> place seemed to have a clue about what I was talking about when I
> asked where it was.  I haven't triple-checked, but I was pretty
> certain that either the October or September issue of _Natural
> History_ claimed the skeleton was on display.  Mononykus was mentioned
> in two places, and in one (near the barosaurus/allosaurus display)
> there was a small piece of it, but that was it.

No, other than that fragment, Mononykus is not and has never been on display
at the AMNH -- except for a cast of the arm which was part of the
"Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park" travelling exhibit. Last time I was there,
a little over a month ago, the mounted skeletal cast was only about
half-complete. Looks pretty neat. Not having read that issue of _NH_, I
can't confirm or deny what you read, but so far as I know, there have never
been any plans to display Mononykus before the new halls open in '95.

> And if the new dinosaur exhibits are anything near as
> impressive as the new exhibit on human evolution, they should be well
> worth the wait.

The new dino halls will be closer in their set-up to the renovated mammal halls
than to the Human Biology and Evolution exhibit, but they do look quite good
so far. I've seen only a little of the in-progress construction (only two
dinosaurs were fully mounted when last I checked), and even less of the
floorplans, but the final result should be pretty
impressive. There are some very interesting specimens for display from the last
Mongolia expedition...

By the way, regarding an earlier message about how the spelling of dinosaur
names is more important than the pronounciation --

Did anyone else notice that one of the rows of frozen embryos in "Jurassic
Park" was labelled "Stegasaurus"? Sigh...
Dan Lipkowitz
lipkowit@midway.uchicago.edu