Mononykus pronounciation

>Tom Holtz writes:

>>Unfortunately, most of the AMNH crew pronounce their own animal
>>Mononykus as
>>
>>Mon-o-NYE-kus
>
>I gather you're saying you'd prefer mo-NON-i-kus?

Actually, I prefer mon-ON-i-kus.  Another thing that bugged me about the
name of this guy is that the "onychus" could be interpreted as a plural,
making the critter "One Claws".  (The correct singular is Onyx, as in
Baryonyx).  Unfortunately, Mononyx was used for some insect in the 1820s,
and Mononychus for another insect in (I think) the 1860s, so Mononykus it
is.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy