Re: Deinonychus pronounciation

Tom Holtz writes:

>Ah, well, there are worse problems in the world than
>pronounciation...

I agree, but I still find it worthwhile to try to find consensus about
pronunciations and guidelines rather than complete arbitrariness for
what's called what.  The first time I heard Afrovenator pronounced, it
was af-ro-VEN-uh-tur.  On _The New Explorers_ it was pronounced
af-ro-ven-AY-tur.  I presume that the latter has Paul Sereno's stamp
of approval, so that's the pronunciation I'll stick with.  That is,
when I know what the inventor of the neologism had in mind, I'll go
with that pronunciation first.

For instance:

>Dien-ON-i-kus
>
>(which is how Ostrom pronounces it, anyway).

Yes, I think it was when I saw Ostrom describing Deinonychus'
discovery that I first "corrected" my pronunciation.

>Unfortunately, most of the AMNH crew pronounce their own animal
>Mononykus as
>
>Mon-o-NYE-kus

I gather you're saying you'd prefer mo-NON-i-kus?

Getting off of the subject of pronunciation... I was at AMNH on
saturday.  Mononykus was the principle attraction drawing me to the
museum, and I was quite disappointed that nobody in the whole bloody
place seemed to have a clue about what I was talking about when I
asked where it was.  I haven't triple-checked, but I was pretty
certain that either the October or September issue of _Natural
History_ claimed the skeleton was on display.  Mononykus was mentioned
in two places, and in one (near the barosaurus/allosaurus display)
there was a small piece of it, but that was it.

If any of you are thinking of visiting AMNH to see dinosaurs, don't
bother to do so until next spring (at the earliest).  They are
completely re-building their dinosaur exhibits, so the
barosaurus/allosaurus display is pretty much the only dinosaur
material you can currently see.  On the bright side, a cast of
mononykus will be on display when the hall of saurischian dinosaurs
opens.  And if the new dinosaur exhibits are anything near as
impressive as the new exhibit on human evolution, they should be well
worth the wait.

Getting back to the important stuff... do most people say
sore-ISK-ee-an or sore-ISH-ee-an?