re: crests and pronounciation

On crest coloration in hadrosaurs:
  I have no problem assuming that, say, dilophosaur crests or, say, allosaur
suprorbital crests were colored, as display items should likely be.  However,
hadrosaur skull features were elaborations of nasal structures, which Dodson, an
and many others argue functioned as trumpets/signal devices.  There is no
reason these were for visual display and they were unlikely to have been
visually colored.

On pronounciation: I'm rarely bothered by "mispronounciation" of dinosaur
names, since many are illogical anyway.  E.g., why is Plateosaurus "plate-e-
o- rather than "plat-e-osaurus" and since Ankylosaurus has ankylosed
dermal scutes (pronounced an-ky-losed, accent on first syllable), why is
is commonly pronounced an-kye-lo-saurus (accent on second syllable)?

Most americans mispornounce many "scientific" terms.  E.g., 1000 meters
is a kilometer (accent on first syllable) rather than "kilometer" (accent
onsecond syllable, as we generally hear.  It is, literally, a kilo of
meters.

 The element I is properly "Iodine" (pronounced eye-o-dine, latter syllable
rhymes with "keen"), just as its chlorine and flourine (sound the names and
you will see,).

By the way, your car has a "speed-o-meter" (accent on the first syllable) and
if its sporty, a tachymeter (not tachometer).

Pronounciations are basically trivial.

Cheers,

david Schwimmer
schwimm@uscn.cc.uga.edu