Re: Pronouncing Dinosaur Name

> How much do professional paleontologists care about mispronunciations? >
I would imagine that some mispronunciations are bearable almost to the >
point of acceptability or tolerance (like the pronunciation of >
Dilophosaurus in "Jurassic Park") whereas others are like fingernails on >
a chalk board. > > ----- Amado Narvaez > anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu
I would think it is more important to get the spelling correct.  So many
times has a dinosaur genus or species names been misspelled in the
literature, that many are made to believe a new genus or species had been
described or referred to.  The fun part of pronouncing dinosaurs names is
the way we personalize them for ourselves. (Try: Diplodocus)
---John Schneiderman (dino@cwis.unomaha.edu)