Re: Dilophosaurus??

Sean Kerns writes:

>In the movie, there is a seen where the evil computer guy played by
>Wayne Knight is attacked by a creature that was identified in the
>movie as a Dilophosaurus.

Seinfeld fans will appreciate how it cracked me up when my wife leaned
over to me and said "Hello-o, Newman" the first time Wayne appeared on
screen :-)

>Some questions: is that the correct name?

Yes.  And while I'm here, let me get on a soap box about name
pronunciation.  The "lophos" in the animal's name should be pronounced
with a long "o" sound if we're to remain true to the original
language.  This may throw some people into a tizzy, but this also
means that other animal's names are typically mispronounced as well.
You might want to try: para-SORE-uh-LOAF-us with the heavier accent on
the "LOAF".  I can almost guarantee that you'll never hear anyone (but
me :-) pronounce it that way, but it is more consistent with the way
that other animals' names (e.g. the sting ray _Urolophus_) are
pronounced.  I was pleased when I saw that the above was the
pronunciation recommended for parasaurolophus by David Lambert in _The
Ultimate Dinosaur Book_.  (How many of you just said
"para-sore-OL-uh-phus" to yourselves :-)

>Is there any actual evidence that they spit to blind their victims,
>or is that pure movie magic?

It began in the book.  Dough!  I thought I might be fast enough to
beat Tom to the answers this time.  Well, at least I haven't
overlapped with him too much.  Since he pretty much stole my thunder
(partly as a pun-ishment for the mail I've been sending him about his
"barley" typo I'm sure :-), let me just say one other thing.

If you have access to www, you can check out:

http://ucmp1.berkeley.edu/dilophosaur/intro.html

to see an exhibit dedicated to the animal.  The tour is guided by Sam
Welles, who discovered the animal in Arizona back in 1942.  In the
intro, Sam is standing next to a wall with a representation of a
dilophosaurus skeleton showing you the real size of the animal, and
the kinks in the skull mentioned by Tom.