Re: "Segnosaur" teeth (fwd)

> On Tue, 25 Oct 1994, Chris Nedin wrote:
>
> > Tom Holtz wrote:
> >
> > >Actually, the serrations on the teeth of Alxasaurus (as well as those of
> > >the Troodontidae) scale with relation to tooth size with those of known
> > >herbivores (iguanid lizards, various ornithischian and sauropodomorph
> > >dinosaurs, etc.).  Myself and my coauthors, Christine Chandler and Dan
> > >Brinkman, recently (i.e., last week) presented evidence which suggests an
> > >omnivorous diet for these forms.
> > >
> > >[Actually, we said that the tooth morphology and other characters suggest a
> > >larger proportion of vegetable matter in the diet of these forms than in
> > >that of the standard theropods].
> > >
> > >Other potentially omnivorous theropods include oviraptorosaurs,
> > >ornithomimosaurs, and Avimimus.
> >
> > Interesting. How did they get around the problem that meat-eating teeth are
> > not good for processing vegetable matter and vice versa? Mammals did it by
> > differentiating their teeth along the jaw, dinosaurs did not have this
> > option.
> >
> ..meat eating dinosaurs did have one option...become toothless.
> ---John Schneiderman ( dino@cwis.unomaha.edu )

And if you agree with Bob Bakker (which it doesn't seem like many of
you do), dinosaur teeth didn't have to be able to grind up plant
matter (or any food). Their gizzards processed the food.
BTW, does anyone know if Bakker is reachable by voice mail? I'd
like to discuss a couple of points in his book with him.

Sean
sean.kerns@sdrc.com
Computer guy with a degree in history, paleo wannabe...