Re: Topic Drift. *Severe* Topic Drift

>*Was* Godzilla a dinosaur?  I'm not an authority on the movies by any
>means, but I've always assumed that, since "gojira" (Godzilla in
>Japanese) sounds like a cross between "kujira" (whale) and "gorira"
>(gorilla), he was a more mundane mutant.

In the American version of the first movie, pains were taken
to explain at some length that Godzilla was a cross between
an allosaurus and a stegosaurus.  This was done with a typical
Hollywood "scientist" and my first boyhood dinosaur book, just
like the one my parents gave away years ago.  How he then grew
to 400 feet and breath radioactive gas was not explained, though
it was strongly implied he was mutated by the radiation from the
atomic explosions that disturbed him from his slumber.  Along
with Gorgo, Angira, Rodan, Ghidrah, Reptilicus, the Beast from
20,000 Fathoms, and a host of vastly less plausible beasties
from even later films.

Realistically, Godzilla is not a dinosaur, he's a dragon.  Not
prehistory, just myth.  Ghidrah follows the pattern even better.
But the best screen dragon was Vermithrax Pejorative from "Dragon
Slayer".  Good flick.

regards,
Larry Smith