Re: Topic Drift. *Severe* Topic Drift

>>> 2) what kind of dinosaur was Godzilla?
>>
>>    Well, acording to the second movie, Godzilla was a special genus of
>>dinos called "Gigantis".  Angurus (the only quadruped Godzilla monster)
>>was of the genus "Angurosaurus".
>
>*Was* Godzilla a dinosaur?  I'm not an authority on the movies by any
>means, but I've always assumed that, since "gojira" (Godzilla in
>Japanese) sounds like a cross between "kujira" (whale) and "gorira"
>(gorilla), he was a more mundane mutant.

As revealed in the 1991 (or was it '92?) movie "Gojira tai King Ghidora",
Godzilla is a mutated Gojirasaurus, a hitherto unknown genus of
approximately 50 feet tall dinosaur living in the Marshall Islands.  This
particular specimen saved a Japanese unit station on its island from nasty
Americans, was wounded by US artillery, was left for dead by the Japanese
when left, and got trapped in an H-bomb blast during the 1950s.  The
radiation, of course, is what mutated the beastie.

Ah, science...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy