Re: Deinonychus

>Excuse a beginner's question, please:
>
>Is Deinonychus a 'live' genus name again?  I was under the impression that
>we lost it when D. antirrhopus became Velociraptor antirrhopus. Is there
>another species that's still under Deinonychus?

With the exceptions of Greg Paul (who synonymized the two) and Michael
Crichton, no one has regarded the two taxa as the same in the technical
literature.  Both are more closely related to each other than two
Dromaeosaurus, but sufficient characters distinguish the two.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy
MS 970 National Center