Re: sinraptor/maniraptor

>So it's therapods, carnosaurs, sinraptors
>or therapods, carnosaurs, maniraptors?
>(Perhaps instead of requesting books for my son, I should ask for some
>for myself ;^))

Actually, "Carnosauria" doesn't seem to be a natural group (a group with a
common ancestor and all of its descendants).  Excluding the primitive
herrasaurids and Eoraptor, theropods can be divided into two major groups:
Ceratosauria (Coelophysoidea [such as Dilophosaurus, Coelophysis,
Syntarsus] plus Neoceratosauria [Ceratosaurus, Abelisauridae,
Elaphrosaurus, etc.])  and Tetanurae (everything else).

Tetanurae is divided into Torvosauroidea (aka Megalosauroidea, including
Afrovenator, Torvosaurus, and maybe the Spinosauridae) and Avetheropoda
(which Sereno calls Neotetanurae, although Avetheropoda has 6 years of
priority by name and several weeks priority by phylogenetic definition).
Avetheropoda is divided into Allosauroidea (Sinraptoridae plus Allosauridae
plus Cryolophosaurus) and Coelurosauria.  Coelurosauria is divided into
Compsognathus and a group I have to rename ("Maniraptora sensu Holtz
1994").  This last group contains Ornitholestes, Oviraptorosauria,
Therizinosauroidea (aka Segnosauria), true Maniraptora (Dromaeosauridae and
birds), and Arctometatarsalia.  Arctometatarsalia is divided into
Tyrannosauridae and Bullatosauria (= Troodontidae plus Ornithomimosauria).

Theropod phylogeny made easy...

>Finally, last week I asked about name changes (and received several
>examples)--here's another one Gorgosaurus is now Albertasaurus?

Actually, Gorgosaurus may NOT be Albertosaurus, since the features used to
put G. libratus into Albertosaurus may simply be primitive features of
tyrannosaurids.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy