Journal Abstracts

I have a subscription to Current-Contents-on-Diskette with Abstracts and
have recently been browsing for articles of a dinosaurian nature. If people
on this list would find it useful, or interesting, I can try to post such
abstracts as the one below on a periodic basis. I can't promise complete
coverage of your favourite journals or all of the issues (I do have to
work), but I am willing to try. Send responses + or - via E-Mail.
A.R.I. Cruickshank,"Cranial Anatomy of the Lower Jurassic Pliosaur
Rhomaleosaurus Megacephalus (Stutchbury) (Reptilia: Plesiosauria)",
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B -
Biological Sciences, February 28, 1994, 343, 1305, 247-260.
"An account is given of the skull of a large pliosauroid plesiosaur from the
lowermost Hettangian (Lower Lias; Lower Jurassic) of Barrow upon Soar,
Leicestershire, identified as Rhomaleosaurus megacephalus (Stutchbury,
1846). It is proposed as the neotype of the species, as the holotype was
destroyed in an air raid on Bristol in November 1940. Details of the skull
allow emendation of the diagnosis of the genus Rhomaleosaurus. Comparison of
R. megacephalus with the Upper Liassic species, Rhomaleosaurus zetlandicus,
shows that the former has a more gracile snout and a shallower lower jaw
symphysis, and lacks squamosal-quadrate foramina. There may also be
differences in the number and nature of the palatal grooves associated with
presumed underwater olfaction. Lack of iron pyrites in the matrix
surrounding the specimen allowed computed axial tomography (CAT)-scan
sections to be obtained, which in association with the little-distorted
nature of the skull, permitted a confident reconstruction of the skull. It
shows a complete ring of circumorbital bones, and a suborbital fenestra. The
braincase can be reconstructed from sagittal break-sections allied with
CAT-scan sections. A stapes is identified. A poorly preserved dentition
comprises conical, striated, teeth with caniniforms on each premaxilla and
at the front of each maxilla. Although very similar to the later species,
this skull is not so well adapted for apprehending and dismembering large
prey, as is R. zetlandicus."
                                                           Miles Constable
                                             Environment Canada, Edmonton
I supply the opinions, my employer supplys the connection, don't confuse the
two.