Re: T.bataar

>excuse me for popping in to your discussion of head size, but I appear to
>be a bit behind some of you in keeping up to date with who's who in the
>dino world. Is T. Bataar formerly known as Tarborsaurus (pardon my
>spelling)?

Actually, Tarbosaurus was formerly known as Tarbosaurus, and is so again.

In a series of papers in 1955, Russian paleontologist E. Maleev named a)
Tyrannosaurus bataar, based on a skull and isolated bones, b) Tarbosaurus
efremovi, based on a fairly complete skeleton, and c) several other
tyrannosaurids (including Gorgosaurus lancinator, Gorgosaurus novojilovi).

Most people agree that Maleev oversplit the fossils, and that all of these
specimens (with the possible exception of the last) come from the same
species.  Most have called this species Tarbosaurus bataar; bataar because
that was the first trivial nomen ("second" name)  given to this animal,
Tarbosaurus because most people agree that this was a distinct genus from
Tyrannosaurus.

In 1992, Ken Carpenter, looking at all Tyrannosaurus rex and T. bataar
specimens collected by 1990, showed that the characters that most people
had used to separate T. rex and T. bataar were not valid.  Thus, he put
bataar back into Tyrannosaurus.  However, he found that the animal called
"Gorgosaurus" novojilovi was distinct from any North American
tyrannosaurid, and so named it Maleevosaurus novojilovi.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy
MS 970 National Center