re:dinosauria textbook

550 DINOSAUR@lepomis.upenn.psych.edu... Host unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Sender: "Flyinggoat" <Flyinggoat@aol.com>
To: DINOSAUR@lepomis.upenn.psych.edu
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 23:22:32 EDT
Subject: Re: _THE_DINOSAURIA_ textbook

 >I don't agree that it's a good book for beginners unless they have >taken a
>course in anatomy. I think this could be easily fixed, however, >with a
glossary
>with a skeletal diagram (any genus will do) in the book, defining >the
technical
>names of all the bones (tibia, femur, etc.) for quick reference.

You would need several diagrams of anatomy:

first, the general anatomy common to most dinosaurs on a generic
            chart
second, the anatomy specific to the two major genus of dinosaurs, especially
detailing the hips
third, side view of a skull
fourth, top view and bottom view of a skull
and fifth, front and back views of a skull
-------a detailed mapping of the bones in the skull as commonly found in
dinosaurs-------------------------------------------
and sixthly,  I would like to see a second illustration to accompany each
chapter-heading-silhouette, that would show what that particular group's
anatomy had unique to that group, as an anatomical study with little arrows
to indicate things like the sauropods' neck vertebrae adaptations, the
ceratopian neck-frill, and such. The chapter-silhouette is not enough of a
guide to the species' variations.

   I also find the details on the head structure of Hadrosaurs to be sadly
lacking.  Apart from that, I've found it extremely helpful in researching for
illustrative pieces I've done.

Betty Cunningham(Flyinggoat@aol.com)