Some corrections to the large predator list

Michel Chartier caught a typo in my previous posting about large theropods:

Albertosaurus saurophagus (the trivial nomen means "lizard eater") should be

Albertosaurus sarcophagus ("corpse eater")

I listed Gorgosaurus libratus with its original genus (rather than
Albertosaurus libratus, as it's generally been called since Russell 1970)
because most of the characters used to put libratus in Albertosaurus are
synplesiomorphies (shared primitive characters).  Further work needs to be
done to see if libratus and sarcophagus share a common ancestor outside of
all other tyrannosaurids, or if instead Albertosaurus sarcophagus is more
advanced and more closely related to Tyrannosaurus rex (for example).

Saurophagus maximus (listed in the Allosaurids), which Bakker calls
Epanterias amplexus, is not just a great big Allosaurus.  Dan Chure (the
paleontologist at the Dinosaur National Monument) has shown many characters
which differ between species of Allosaurus and Saurophagus.  From what I've
seen of the material, S. maximus might be more closely related to
Acrocanthosaurus than to Allosaurus.

[Epanterias, by the way, is an invalid name, since the holotype material
includes both allosaurid theropod and camarasaurid sauropod fossils.  Thus,
like Trachodon (whose type specimen is composed of teeth of hadrosaurids
and ceratopsids), Epanterias must be thrown out.]

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy
MS 970 National Center