        sci.bio
        sci.bio.evolution
        sci.misc
        Dinosaur mailing list at lepomis.psych.upenn.edu

CHARTER

This newsgroup will be open to discussion on scientific topics concerning
dinosaurs and other large extinct animals.  This is for real science, not
Barney the dinosaur or the Dinosaurs TV show!  General paleontological
discussion is welcome.

RATIONALE

There is a large and active mailing list for discussion of dinosaurs.  Some
people would like to see it moved to a USENET newsgroup. There is currently
no sci.paleo hierarchy, but it really fits somewhere between biology and
geology.

UNRESOLVED ISSUES

Issues that should be resolved during this RFD:

1) Name hierarchy - should it go under sci.bio or sci.geo instead?

2) What about other paleontological topics?  Do we just want a sci.paleo
   instead?

3) What about the dinosaur mailing list?  Do we want to have a gateway
   between the mailing list and the newsgroup?  If so, I'd suggest sticking
   to dinosaur topics, rather than creating a general paleo newsgroup.

FUTURE CALL FOR VOTES

After a discussion period of 21-30 days, if there are not overwhelming
objections to any of the proposed groups, there will be a Call For
Votes (CFV) posted to the groups as this RFD.  The voting period will
be at least 21 days.  Each group that passes, by receiving 100 more
YES votes than NO votes *and* twice as many YES votes as NO votes,
will be created.