RE: Dinosaur and DNA

Jennifer
I read a precis of the research on extracting DNA from insects buried in
amber several years ago in the magazine Science News. From what was
mentioned in the article the DNA extracted was highly fragmented and there
was no proof that it came from dinosaurs. The most likely source would be
the insect itself, and possibly the blood from whatever it had fed on. The
basic problem being that the skin of dinosaurs was rather thick, and may
have been an effective barrier to mosquitos and biting flies. Small
dinosaurs like Archeopteryx and the young of other dinosaurs could have been
attacked by biting flies, also small mammals would be likely sources of
blood.

Sorry I can't be much more help than this. Good luck. An interesting topic.
Miles Constable