Re: dinosaur fiction recommendations

On Fri, 30 Sep 1994, Scott wrote:

>   Has anyone heard if there will be a sequel to the book "Jurassic Park" to
> pre-date the sequel to the movie? I don't want to wait 3 years for my next
> "fix"
> of dinosauromania (this list is great but it's awful quiet at times!). Can
> anyone recommend any other good works of dinosaur fiction?
>
> Scott Horton
> Geophysicist/Computer Programmer

    This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I highly
recommend Robert Sawyer's dinosaur trilogy _Far-Seer_, _Fossil_Hunter_,
and a third book whose title escapes me.
    It's about a planet whose dominant life form are intelligent creatures
called Quintaglios who evolved from a T-Rex ancestor.  Sawyer paints a
highly detailed picture of the rich Quintaglio culture and how it differs
from ours.  Everything from their religion (the great mother who laid two
clutches of eggs from which all life sprang, including the first
Quintaglios), to their culture to their social etticquette (very complex
due to a strong sense of territoriality, there are setbacks to being one
of T-Rex's cousins) is both captivating and believable.
    I could go on and on about these books, but I trust someone will pick
one up tell us how they liked it.  They're very easy to read.  I read the
first one in three days and the the second one in two. (I read JP in about
a day and a half).
    Also, Ray Bradbury has written many fascinating dinosaur short
stories.  Anyone know of a Bradbury dinosaur anthology?

 |  ahartman@oswego.oswego.edu  |        A T Hartman         | Oswego State  |
 |      Agammemon@aol.com       | News Editor, _Oswegonian_  |    College    |
 | aw149@freenet.cc.buffalo.edu | "We do it all night long." |  zoology bs   |
 | "One's right to life, liberty and property, to free speech, a free        |
 | press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamentalrights may   |
 | not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no election."     |
 |                    --Robert H. Jackson                                    |