Re: Message sent from lelie.

># From: k.vandellen@genie.geis.com
>
>Larry,
>
>I appreciate your comments and observations.
>
>To get back to the original idea... I believe that a person who is
>not very familiar with Christianity, but who believes that Earth is
>old because of the rock record, is not likely to become a Chrisitian
>if he/she thinks it would mean accepting the belief that Earth is
>young. This may be partly due to peer pressure, partly because it
>would be difficult to accept what one perceives as myth instead of
>what one has hard evidence for, and partly other things.

As a geologist myself this is definately a factor for non-believers. While
I am not advocating that the bible is wrong I am convinced that there is
plenty of room in the interpretation of Genesis for a old earth. Since the
importance of the message in the Bible is not the how, but the WHO then I
think I owe it to my non-believing collegues to stick to what is important.
I of course also am convinced myself that the old earth view is the correct
one and believe also it is dishonest to suggest otherwise given the
evidence we are given in the rock record.

>The people searching for Noah's ark seem to be looking for something
>to prove God's existence. For me, the rocks are one more thing that
>make me sing How Great Thou Art, but they do not push me in the
>direction of becoming a young Earther and would not encourage me to
>join a church that promotes that view.

Ah, my feeling exactly. When I think about the vast ages of the rock record
and the history recorded therein I am not bothered by it but like you am
put in awe of the Creator and his greatness. It is only me a mere mortal
being who is somehow unable to grasp and relate to these vast time periods
which to God are nothing.

>The terms "creationist" and "creation" are applied rather
>consistently in the media and by religious fundamentalists and
>unsympathetic scientists, for lack of a better term, to the young
>Earth view. Often this is approach is used to caricature what the
>Bible supposedly teaches. Some professors and textbook authors
>essentially teach that one must choose between modern science and an
>18th-century Christianity that is out of touch with what we know
>about the world today. Unsympathetic scientists and the media do not
>generally acknowledge Old-Earth creationists, perhaps because
>young-Earth creationists proclaim so loudly to the old Earth
>creationists and the whole world that their interpretation is the
>truly biblical one.

Unfortunately quite true.

>I am not a new Christian just coming to Christ, yet I have been told
>by young Earthers essentially that I am apostate or heretical or
>something in that category. On the other hand, some geologists have
>made it clear to me that they view me as quaint for my religious
>beliefs, so I think it would be difficult for an unbelieving
>geologist (or someone familiar with the subject) to become even an
>old-Earth creationist.

I have run into the same thing Ken. I even did a join discussion with a
young-earth creationist for our local campus ministry. He was adamant
(while being polite) that I was in danger at the least of being a heretic
for holding the views I do and that any true believer would somehow have to
hold to his views as being the only ones true to the faith. He was
convinced that any Christian who held old earth views and the like was
somehow destroying the validity of the bible and our faith in general. It
is too bad that so many (not all) of my young-earth bretheren have such a
view. So you are not alone in such experiences.

>Of course, these are just my observations and opinions, and I could
>be wrong. (Is it time for me to get off the couch now, Doctor?")
>
>Ken
>
>Reply:  Item #5888258 from SS6349@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU@INET00#
>

>   # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
>   #                  SCIENCE & CHRISTIANITY MAILING LIST                  #
>   #                                                                       #
>   #  Mailing List Address : ss6349@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                       #
>   #  Moderator's Address  : schimmri@hercules.geology.uiuc.edu            #
>   # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

  Russ Jacobson                     INTERNET:jacobson@fred.isgs.uiuc.edu
  207 NRB, 615 E Peabody            217-244-2426   Home Phone: 217-384-6983
  Illinois Geological Survey         DINOSAUR RUSS: who lives, eats,
  Champaign, IL 61820                breathes and smells dinosaurs!!!
                                                  ____
       ___                                      .-~. /_"-._
      `-._~-.                                  / /_ "~o\  :Y
          \  \                                / : \~x.  ` ')
           ]  Y                              /  |  Y< ~-.__j
          /   !                        _.--~T : l  l<  /.-~
         /   /                 ____.--~ .   ` l /~\ \<|Y
        /   /             .-~~"        /| .    ',-~\ \L|    .-~-.
       /   /             /     .^   \ Y~Y \.^>/l_   "--'  .*(   )*
      /   Y           .-"(  .  l__  j_j l_/ /~_.-~    .   {  ) (  }
     Y    l          /    \  )    ~~~." / `/"~ / \.__/l_   @(   )@
     |     \     _.-"      ~-{__     l  :  l._Z~-.___.--~-  *~.~*
                           `. ~(
                             )  \