Re: species id request

>        I am sitting here looking at an illustration by Jeremy White. The
>dino is Tenontosaurus tilletti. Can some one suggest where I could find
>information about the species name tilletti? (origin, why selected etc.). I
>know that species names are sometimes given in honor of the individual that
>has made the discovery or is the first to scientifically describe the species,
>or the name could reflect a specific trait or characteristic associated with
>the new discovery. Since my last name is Tillett, I am naturally curious as
>to the origin of this name. I do know that the name as far as my family is
>concerned is French in origin and the interpretation of the name is one who
>digs in the earth or turns the soil. Does this have any meaning to the species
>name for the drawing I am speaking about? Any clues or suggestions would be
>appreciated.

_Tenontosaurus tilletti_ was named by John Ostron in 1970. The full citation is:

Ostrom, J. H. (1970) Stratigraphy and paleontology of the Cloverly
Formation (Lower Cretaceous) of the Bighorn Basin area, Wyoming and
Montana. Yale University, Peabody Museum of Natural History, Bulletin, 35:
234pp.

That publication will list the reason for naming it "Tilletti". The "i"
after the name indicates that it was named after someone called Tillett. I
do not have access to the bulletin, but someone reading this group in the
U.S. should. The original material was collected by Barnum Brown of the
American Museum of Natural History in 1903, but it wasn't until Ostrom
collected extensively in the mid to late sixties that enough material was
aquired to warrent the erection of a species.

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au
it was all downhill from there.