Dinosaurs on Cable TV

Here's a list of the first 6 Paleoworld programs on The Learning Channel.

September 28 at 8:00 p.m. and repeating at 11:00: "Rise of the Predators."
        Kind of an overview of ancient predators from early species of
        water predators to Velociraptor and T. Rex.
October 2 at 9:00 p.m. and repeating October 5 at 8:00 and 11:00 p.m.
        "Flight of the Pterosaurs."
October 9 at 9:00 p.m. and repeating October 12 at 8:00 and 11:00 p.m.
        "Back to the Sea." A look at a "missing link" between land mammals
        and the whales and dolphins of today.
October 16 at 9:00 p.m. and repeating October 19 at 8:00 and 11:00 p.m.
        "Carnosaurs."
October 23 at 9:00 p.m. and repeating October 26 at 8:00 and 11:00 p.m.
        "Missing Links." The human kind.
October 30 at 9:00 p.m. (According to _Cable in the Classroom_, this one
        does not seem to be repeated.) "Sea Monsters." Marine reptiles,
        crocodiles and giant sharks that were contemporaries of the
        dinosaurs.

The times listed are Eastern Time Zone. This information is taken from
_Cable in the Classroom_ magazine. I would double-check against local
listings to make sure there has been no schedule changes.

The TLC Elementary program "Nature's Giants" that I mentioned in a previous
posting is being repeated October 11 at 4:00 a.m. This had the short
program about the joint Canadian/Chinese fossil expedition in the Gobi
Desert. Elementary educators, set your VCR timers.

Another program to watch for is "Searching for Dinosaurs" on The Learning
Channel series "The Ancient World" on October 27 at 8:00 p.m. (Reminder:
No permission has been granted by The Learning Channel to videotape
"Paleoworld" and "The Ancient World" for classroom use.

TBS has a National Geographic Explorer program on "Muttaburrasaurus"
scheduled October 23 at 9:35 p.m. and repeating on October 29 at
10:40 a.m. (I had to look this one up in my Lessem and Glut
Dinosaur Encyclopedia. It's an Australian, and the encyclopedia
says "originally classified as an iguanodontid, ... now thought to
be more similar to the camptosaurid, Camptosaurus."  This is a short,
15-minute program.

BRAVO has a 30-minute program called "Opening Shot: Dinosaurs" listed
as being on October 21 at 10:30 a.m. and repeating at 2:30 p.m.
Teachers may videotape for classroom use and keep for one year.
It looks into the popularity of dinosaurs with children. (I had
trouble trying to tape another BRAVO cable-broadcast during the time
periods indicated.)

Finally, on a related note, the A&E 4-part series "Ape Man: The Story
of Human Evolution" is offered commercial-free for educators on
A&E Classroom on October 3, 10, 17 and 20 at 7:00 a.m.

It's nice to know that the cable TV industry is making an attempt to
provide educational programming to complement the October release of
"Jurassic Park" to video.

----- Amado Narvaez
      anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu
.