Subject: Blood cells from T. Rex bones (fwd)
To: dinosaur@donald.wichitaks.NCR.COM
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 8:06:44 CDT
From: John Matrow <jmatrow@donald.wichitaks.NCR.COM>

Forwarded message:

> The Sydney morning Herald reported that scientists in the USA had found blood
> cells on the fossilized bones of a T. Rex and that they hoped to get some DNA
> from them. Can anyone in the States confirm this?

IS DINOSAUR DNA MORE THAN STUFF OF MOVIES?
By Malcolm W. Brown
New York Times News Service
July 1, 1993

   A  Montana paleontologist and his colleagues think  they  have
found   red  blood  cells  in  the  fossilized  leg  bone  of   a
Tyrannosaurus rex and say they have high hopes of extracting  DNA
from the dinosaur's cells.
   The discovery of the putative dinosaur blood cells has not yet
been submitted to a scientific journal or independently confirmed
but   was  reported  two  weeks  ago  by  the  National   Science
Foundation, which has financed the project.
  Jack  Horner, a paleontologist at Montana State University  who
directed  the investigation, said Wednesday that his group  hoped
to  find  matches between gene fragments left  in  the  preserved
blood  cells with comparable DNA segments from modern  crocodiles
or birds.
   "If  we're  lucky  enough to find  matches,"  he  said,  "they
could go a long way toward showing what the relationship  between
dinosaurs  and birds might be. We're not there yet, but we  think
we're getting close."
   Cheryl   Dybas,  a  spokeswoman  for  the   National   Science
Foundation,  acknowledged  that  her  agency  had   intentionally
released  its  report of Horner's progress to coincide  with  the
opening of "Jurassic Park," a science-fiction movie based on  the
premise  that  dinosaurs  might  one day  be  cloned  from  their
surviving DNA.
   The femur, or leg bone, Horner's group is studying is part  of
an  unusually  well-preserved tyrannosaur fossil,  more  than  65
million  years old, which they found and excavated from the  Hell
Creek Formation in eastern Montana three years ago. The  apparent
blood cells were discovered by Mary Schweitzer, Horner's graduate
student, who was investigating the histology, or cell  structure,
of fossilized bone and marrow tissue.
   In  the  past,  few paleontologists  or  molecular  biologists
believed  that biological material could survive for millions  of
years  without  becoming  mineralized, thus  losing  its  organic
molecular  structure.  The  survival of  any  intact  DNA,  which
ordinarily  decays  with time, seemed even less likely.  But  the
recent discovery of organic material and even fragments of DNA in
ancient plant and animal fossils has changed opinions.
   "Two  years ago I would have called this baloney,"  said  Raul
Cano  of  California  Polytechnic State University  at  San  Luis
Obispo,  a  molecular  biologist who has  himself  extracted  DNA
fragments  from fossilized insects and plants millions  of  years
old.
   "It's  certainly plausible," Cano said. "We have seen  similar
things  ourselves."  Earlier this month Cano and  his  associates
reported in the journal Nature that they had extracted DNA from a
weevil  that  had been entombed in amber for 120 million  to  135
million years.
   Molecular   biologist  Russell  Higuchi,  who   has   strongly
questioned  the premise that appreciable quantities of DNA  could
survive  for  eons,  said Wednesday that  it  was  possible  that
Horner's group has actually seen dinosaur blood cells.
   "We  ourselves  speculated 10 years ago that if  dinosaur  DNA
survived  at all, it might be found" deep inside a  fossil  bone,
said Higuchi, of Roche Molecular Systems in Alameda, Calif.
   Horner  said  that  microscopic examination of  a  thin  slice
through the dinosaur bone revealed that although its outer layers
were mineralized, the bone itself, brown in color, remained  more
or less intact in the interior of the marrow cavity.
   Mary  found spherical structures that appear to  be  nucleated
red  cells  inside the blood vessels running  through  the  bone,
right where you'd expect to find blood, if it's there," he said.
   Part of the science foundation's grant to Horner's group  went
for laboratory equipment to conduct a polymerase chain  reaction,
a technique that can single out a lone molecular fragment of  DNA
and  make  enough  copies so it can be  analyzed  using  standard
methods.
   "The biggest problem is contamination of the fossil by foreign
DNA,"  Horner said. "There's lots of it there. The real trick  is
in  identifying something that is not a contaminant. This is  why
we  are  looking for matches with crocodile DNA, which is  not  a
likely contaminant."

--
John Matrow   Product Solutions, NCR Peripheral Products Division
 316-636-8851 <John.Matrow@WichitaKS.NCR.COM>

--- End of forwarded message from John Matrow <jmatrow@donald.wichitaks.NCR.COM>

--- Forwarded mail from ac941@leo.nmc.edu