The mess

I recently sent a couple post, and silly me, I tried to spell things
correctly (O's with umlatses, the smushed "ae" letter and the smushed "oe"
letter).  Somewhere along the line a computer decided it would rather put
equal signs and combinations of capital letters and numbers in the place of
the special letters.  Here are my posts with traditional spelling:

Heterodontosaurus

    In addition to Tyrannosaurs, Troodonts, and Heterodontosaurs; I believe
that the Ornitholestians (Ornitholestes and Proceratosaurus maybe) had
heterodont teeth.  More conical and un-serrated up-front and more knife like
in the back.

Oviraptor

     Greg Paul's _Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_ has the only Oviraptor
species (philoceratops) reconstructed with the large axe-nosed crest and
gives no mention to the hook-nosed crested skull.

    In _The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Dinosaurs_, David Norman has both
skulls illustrated and both being labelled Oviraptor philoceratops.

    Besides the obvious differences in the shapes of the crests, hook-nose's
lower jaw seems to deflect downwards while axe-nose's deflects downwards,
then curves up sharply.  Hook-nose also seems to have another fenestra in the
lower jaw behind the Large, "heart-shaped" one characteristic of Oviraptors
while
axe-nose does not.  Hook-nose's premaxila seems to be broken off also because
she looks like an old man who took out his dentures.  Hook-nose's braincase
looks quite a bit larger than axe-nose's and seems to arch up over the upper
temporal fenestrae while axe-nose's skull seems to slope gently downwards
from the top of the crest to the base of the neck.  Hook-nose's Quadrate
looks like a "J", while axe-nose's looks shorter; sort of  backwards "L"
shaped (in left side lateral view).

    Noman writes: "Oviraptor Skulls (Right)
Several skulls belonging to this genus have been described and they exhibit
quite a lot of variety.  The top two skulls have been assigned to the species
philoceratops, yet one has a small bump in the nasal region [hook-nose],
while the other has a large crest [axe-nose] . . . "

    So, what's the deal?  is hook-nose another species, or was it prepared
wrong?  Which skull has priority over philoceratops?

Coelophysis

    Does any one know what the deal is with Coelophysis and Rioaribasaurus
is?
 Have they decided which name gets priority over the Ghost Ranch skelitons?

Hope you can reed 'em this time.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com