pterosaurs & snakes

> >Were snakes around during the dino days, and if so what was the largest?
>
> Snakes arose during the age of dinosaurs.  I can't recall the exact size of
> any, but I remember a primitive python-like form (_Madstonia_?  something
> like that) which was comparable to mid-sized pythons & boas of today.
>

> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.g

I can add a little to Thomas Holtz's reply to Blaise re fossil snakes; they do
not fossilise well except as isolated bones, principally vertebrae, but have
been
found from the early Cretaceous, becoming relatively common by the late
Cretaceous.
However, the major radiations took place after the KT boundary.  I recall that
boid
(boa/python) type vertebrae larger than any modern species have been described,
but
I'm not sure whether they are Cretaceous or more recent.  The estimated length
was
in the 40-50 feet range, assuming the proportions of modern pythons.

Tony Canning
tonyc@foe.co.uk