migration & feeding habits.

Lightwaves@aol.com wrote:

>Could it be that egg carrying females
>required special diets that was only available at certian times of the year?
>Is there any hard evidence >concerning any of this?

The debate is hot regarding migratory behaviour in dinosaurs, especially
when more find are being found in high-palaeolatitudinal sites; for example
North Slope (Alaska), South-east coast (Victoria) and Antarctica. Clues
regarding this matter may be determined biogeochemically, but I know of no
researcher who has considered looking for biogeochemical migratory
signatures within bones or teeth. Or even if someone such as thing can be
discerned?  If anyone can prove me wrong it would be great!

It has been shown in a modern ecology that maternal animals do show
different signatures (e.g., trace element) when "egg carrying". Perhaps
studies of a "trace element" nature on bones surrounding nest sites (males
and females) may help to unravel changes in the diet with respect to
nesting and maternity.

I strongly believe however that dinosaurs (esp. duckbills and
hysilophodontids) exhibit behaviour similar to African wildebeast and/or
gazelles, hence animals migrate with the inborn response to survive and
more importantly to search for food during the change of seasons.  What are
your ideas regarding this analogy with respect to dinosaurs?

Regards,

Darren