Re: Repost

>I know that colour banding in bivalves and gastropods has been
>recorded as far back as the Devonian.  I have also looked at the
>preservation of colour in Pleistogene gastropods from New Zealand,
>but have found that the proteins producing the colour have decomposed
>leaving only a shaddow where once there was colour.  My part of the
>study was to look at the animals using UV light (both living and
>fossil), but a search for the 'pigment' was also made.  I will try
>and find out what the results were.  I think it was published in
>Science or Nature last year.
>
>Neil Clark

Colour banding is also known in insect fossils; I have seen photos of fossil
Cretaceous(?) butterfly-like lacewings with the wing patterns clearly
marked.  I have no idea if the pigments themselves are preserved, though.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940    Compuserve ID: 72037,2513
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5