pterosaurs & snakes

I have a few questions from my 4-year-old (my wording, not his):

Concerning Paleoworld's umpteenth repeat of the pterosaur episode: How
did the pterodactyloids come to replace the rhamphryncoids (pardon
spellings)? Was it direct competition or new species filling in empty
niches? Did both these stocks come from the same ancestor?

Were snakes around during the dino days, and if so what was the largest?
Thanks, Blaise Considine [bpc.apa@email.apa.org]
BTW, it's good to be getting my daily dino fix again.