Re: Repost

Ray wrote:

> What are the chances that some of the pigments might be long lived and
> available in the rock matrix around some fossils. I have no good idea if
> any pigments are longer lived than chlorophyll, xanthophyll, carotene and
> the like but someone may know. I am reminded of the kid? that found skin
> impressions in digs where the bone folks hafd ignored or missed the
> impressions. Could remnants, no necessarily visible, tell of color in
> some instances?

I know that colour banding in bivalves and gastropods has been
recorded as far back as the Devonian.  I have also looked at the
preservation of colour in Pleistogene gastropods from New Zealand,
but have found that the proteins producing the colour have decomposed
leaving only a shaddow where once there was colour.  My part of the
study was to look at the animals using UV light (both living and
fossil), but a search for the 'pigment' was also made.  I will try
and find out what the results were.  I think it was published in
Science or Nature last year.

Neil

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology