Re: Symmetry

On 04/19/95, Ralph Chapman opined:

> Actually, if you look at the skulls of very social beasts among the
> mammals and, dare I say it?, the dinosaurs, they tend to be the most
> asymmetrical. This is especially true for things that go into combat
> but from my experience also includes display stuff....
> I haven't measured bird heads but I suspect those would hold up as
> well - another pet project. Anyway, I think asymmetry is the rule here.

Hmm, what do you mean by the skulls being asymmetrical?  The article (NYT)
I read suggested that symmetry *of form* was strongly correlated both with
health and with 'attractiveness.'  In other words, the deer with the
symmetrical rack is more attractive than the deer with less symmetrical
adornments.  I do have the article around somewhere, but never pursued the
information any further.

Furthermore, this doesn't refer to the skulls of very social beasts as
opposed to less social ones, it refers to the differences in symmetry (on
some scale) between members of the same type of beast.

~ Kiran

--
"Tapirs are animals used in geography books.  Geography could be taught
 without tapirs but it would not be the same. Geography with Tapirs

1628 5th St NW Washington DC 20001 +1 202 483 3157 +1 202 483 3373
WWW: http://www.io.com/user/entropy/home.html
WWW: http://www.io.com/user/entropy/contradance/dance-home.html