Re: Extinction

>Sir, I am a physicist and I am afraid you are far off base with your above
>description.  Very, very, few physicists were among the "hordes of
>supporters" you speak of.  In fact Ponds and Fleishman were harshly
>criticized and ridiculed from almost the very beginning, though most
>physicists wanted to give them a fair shake at first.  They provided little
>to support their conclusions, and they employed more than a little hand
>waving.

Any opinion is handwaving until there is a carefully constructed theory
with data to support it.

>But the evidence for the impact theory is simple and straightforward: an
>impact occurred at the end of the Cretaceous period that created a 120 mile
>crater.  And the dinosaurs died out at the same time.  If there was no more
To what time resolution?  It's possible that there the dinosaurs had
been gone 100K years before the impact, or lasted 100K years after.
I don't think the current fossil record can tell us that.

>evidence it would still be virtually impossible to not acknowledge the strong
>possibility of a connection.

Sure, everyone is interested in the possibility, but an acceptable theory
needs a lot more than that.

Art