Re: Extinction

> >Bakker does have some good questions. Why do the number of fossils
> >taper off as you get near the time of impact? Shouldn't a graph of
> >the fossils show a spike near the estimated time of impact? Why didn't
> >ALL species die out?
> >
> >Tim
>
> Current theories regarding dinosaur extinction do ignore the smaller
> species that survived the extinction.  IMHO I think that the reason why
> they suvived is a question of size.  When you look at the species that
> perished in the K-T extinction, it appears that every species the size of a
> housecat and larger perished; their larger bodies requiring more food than

Is this all species of any animals of any kind larger than a cat, or
just dinos? I though there were some smaller than that; where are
they?

Sean

> their smaller counterparts. This seems to be the biggest point for the
> impact-therorists.
>
> If the same thing were to happen today (killing off all animals larger than
> a cat), there would have to be extremely restrictive environmental
> conditions.  Almost requiring a cosmic zap.
>
> GEOLOGISTS ARE FUN TO BE WITH BECAUSE THEY'RE VERY GNIESS

|    Sean R. "Snake" Kerns              e-mail: sean.kerns@sdrc.com |
|    DoD# 1052   '48 CJ-2A   '79 F-250 4x4 429   '93 750 Virago     |
|    Structural Dynamics Research Corporation    '79 AQHA           |
|    These opinions aren't SDRC's...  They may not even be MINE...  |