Re: Inquiring Minds

 From: AnmlPeople@aol.com

 > My son Wolf,  age 4.5,  out of the blue today declared,  "I think there were
 > some cold-climate dinosaurs." ...  What do the
 > experts think?  Thanks,  Merritt Clifton,  editor,  ANIMAL PEOPLE.

There have been several discoveries of dinosaurs in regions
near the poles.  Tyrannosaurids, ceratopsians, and hadrosaurs
are knwon from the North Slope of Alaska, and small ornithopods
are known from Queensland, Australia.

So, he is probably more or less right.  The main 'alert' I would
put on this is to note that the poles were nowhere near as cold
then as they are now.  The estimated average annual temperature
for the North Slope of Alaska in the Cretaceous is a few degrees
*above* freezing.  This means that it probably got somewhat
below freezing for a few months each year - say somewhat like
New Jersey, or perhaps North Carolina.

As to whether dinosaurs were "warm-blooded" or "cold-blooded", the
answer is still not known, and may never be.  Also, they need not
all have been the same in this regard - there may have been differences
among the dinosaurs with respect to temperature regulation.

The peace of God be with you.