small extinction survivors

There was an interesting Nova feature on PBS last night on the recovery of
the ecosystems around Mt St Helens 10 years after the fact.  Of particular
interest to us (IMHO) is that both ground hogs/gophers and frogs survived
the direct path of the eruption both by being underground.  These two
examples were unlike other current inhabitants in that they never were
exterminated.  Some insects and spiders were also direct survivors.
Interesting.

paul w. sparks  Psparks@cerfnet.com
"over the heather the wet wind blows
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose."
anon