non-extinction

When the K/T boundary is discussed  there always seems to be a bifold
division of the fauna and flora.  That is:  Things that went extinct
and things that didn't.  The assumption seems to be that those that
didn't went sailing happily through without a care.  And some groups
may have done that, I don't know.  There is a third type to consider
though and that is those who made it through but werent happy for a
while.  The group of organisms I study are like that (nannoplankton).
At the K/T they were virtually extinct even the genera that made it
through were not common for a long time.  In the early Paleocene the
niche was even filled breifly by calcareous dinoflagellates.  Finally
they recovered but the distribution of taxa was completely changed from
what was around before the boundary.
What about the vertibrates that made it through? did they really sail
right on by whatever happened as implied?  Or did they scrape by by the
skin on their teeth like the nannos did?

      Michael J. Styzen                   Phone:  (504) 588-4308
      Shell Offshore Inc.                 Room:   OSS-2920
      P.O. Box 61933                      E-mail: mstyzen@shell.com

      New Orleans LA  70161