Re: Quadraped Sailbacks-All non-dinos?

On Tue, 25 Apr 1995 cristeaj@pt.Cyanamid.COM wrote:

>      I was recently talking to an Earth science high school teacher about
>      how he teaches his kids about what makes a dinosaur different from
>      other prehistoric animals.  He told me that he uses "quadraped
>      sailbacks" (i.e. Dimetridon) as one discrimination as to what is _not_
>      a dinosaur.  I told him that there were other (better) ways to
>      discriminate a dinosaur such as: (1) Lived only in the Mesozoic Era,
>      (2) Walked with legs directly under the body (not sprawled), (3) Lived
>      primarily on land, (4) Had unique anatomical structure (i.e. hips,
>      etc), and (5) All dinos were reptiles.
>
>      Although he uses some of the above, he still put in "Quad. Sailbacks".
>      Are there any quadraped sailback dinos?  I think the five
>      qualifications above are enough to qualify for dinosaurian without the
>      confusion of "Quad. Sailbacks".  What do you think?  Thanks!

There are examples of "sails" in dinosaurs, although not to the level of
development seen in non-dinosaurs creatures such as Dimetrodon.
Here are some examples:
Bipedal---> Spinosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Altispinax
Functionally bipedal--> Ouranosaurus, Hypacrosaurus
Quadrapedal--> Amargasaurus, Dicraeosaurus

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)