Re: exinction refs.

>On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Phillip Bigelow wrote:
>
>>   The situation is even worse than that.  Even if your library has
>>interlibrary loan access, you won't get journals via loan, anyway.
>>Journal articles,
>> particularly old journals, are put in bound volumes, and these volumes are
>> generally non-loanable through interlibrary loan.  In fact, I know of *no*
>> university or research library that loans bound science volumes out through
>> interlib. loan.   By all means, fill out the interlibrary loan paperwork.
>> But what you will recieve will be a photocopy of the article, not the
>> journal.
>

>So what's wrong with a xerox copy? Information, is information, whether
>it's bound, photocopied,  or via the Internet.

        Well, first of all, in many articles, photographs are a critical
part of the information, and few xerox copiers go anywhere _near_ doing
them justice.  Even those that do, one has to have an ILL person in charge
who cares enough to take the time to adjust the copier in such a way that
the photos are as clear as possible.  Personally, I'd rather they sent me
the journal so I can either scan the photos or splurge for a color xerox.

        Second, I have many times obtained actual, bound journals via ILL,
although xerox copies are certainly the most common medium.

Jerry D. Harris
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO  80205
(303) 370-6403
Internet:  jdharris@teal.csn.net
CompuServe:  73132,3372

Overheard in the Denver Museum's
old Fossil Mammal Hall, from a mother
to her daugher:

"See there?  That's the camel-dinosaur, and
the horse-dinosaur, and the elephant-dinosaur..."