Two points

Vicki Rosenzweig writes:

>Two points, one major and one less so. The major one is that the
>angle at which such a bolide approached Earth would make a _major_
>difference in the energy released. It could well come in at close
>to a 90 degree angle to Earth's orbit, thus hitting with its own
>orbital velocity, or even chase Earth and hit relatively lightly
>because the impact velocity would be Earth's minus its own.

In my gross simplification, I tried to make the velocity I used seem
plausible.  Actually, the velocity of the object has been determined,
from the study of the crater size, to be roughly what I gave.

>The minor point, Van, is that your system is putting out lots of
>stuff like =92 for apostrophes, and = at the end of long lines,
>which makes your mail hard to read. Can you stop it from doing this?

Thanks.  I tried to paste the last message from my word processor into
AOL's mail facility.  Though it looked fine from this end, perhaps that
was the cause of the mess.  Please tell me if you get that stuff again.

Van Smith