Re: how to get references

Paul Sparks (Psparks@cerfnet.com) wrote:

>My problem is that I don't live anywhere near a library that would have
>these articles.  ..... Anyhow does anyone have any suggestions how some of
>who are really in the sticks can get this stuff?

I suspect that many on this list have the same problem.  There are no easy
(or cheap) answers.  I am sure someone else will have a solution in addition
to these suggestions.  Here are a few:

1) If the paper is new (just out), try contacting one of the authors of the
paper/book/article.  Some authors (well...a few authors) have 50-100 extra
reprints lying around gathering dust.  I have built up quite a large collection
of papers that way.  The advantage of this is that the author will usually
give it to you (unless it is a whopper of a paper..in which case, offer him/her
a monetary incentive. The image quality of any illustrations is exactly
the same quality as in the original publication.  Of course, many authors
only have poorer quality photocopies available.

2) There is a commercial reprint service available on the Internet, called
CARL'S search.  It is often found on the electronic menus of university
libraries that are hooked up to the 'Net.  Using CARL, you type in key
search words (I think it is BOOLEAN, like GeoRef), and CARL will provide
refs. that match your search words.  You can then order the article in
question directly through CARL on your computer, and the article will be
sent to you through regular? mail.  CARL is expensive.  A five-page
article will set you back around $6.50, and it goes up from there.  But
if you're desprate, it's an alternative.  CARL is not available on all
research libraries connected to the 'Net, so search around.  On my
node, I have a program called "LIBS", which will automatically dial-up
university libraries in all of the 50 states and some places elsewhere.
The closest CARL search site nearest my node is the University of Washington.
Most libraries on the 'Net are accessible by *anyone* via standard telnet.
The only problem is finding out what their electronic addresses are!  :-)
Some libraries have funky login commands that you have to know ahead of
time.  By the way, searching on CARL is free...it's ordering the article
that costs $$$.

3) Try contacting a library and have them photocopy the article for you.
This will be much cheaper than CARL.  This works in such situations where
the author doesn't have any more reprints, CARL doesn't carry the article,
and the article is very hard to get otherwise.  I have had success with
such hard-to-get journals such as the now-infamous _Hunteria_ series that
is sometimes mentioned on this list.  _Hunteria_ is hard to find, otherwise!