Ma vs myr

The _Glossary of Geology_ defines Ma as millions of years before the
present, and this is the usage GSA editors follow. Ma is not a
substitute for millions of years.

I agree that myr is not a desirable abbreviation for millions of
years, because it implies milliyears rather than megayears.
To avoid this problem, GSA uses m.y. for millions of years. I won't
say this is the best solution, but it works well for us.

Larry

   Larry Bowlds - Bulletin Managing Editor
   lbowlds@geosociety.org
   Geological Society Of America
   3300 Penrose Place
   Boulder, CO  80301   USA
   Phone: (303) 447-2020 x147     FAX: (303) 442-5005
   GSA WWW Home Page= http://www.aescon.com/geosociety/index.html