T Rex sh*t found on Sci.bio.pale

I thought that those of you who DON'T get newsgroups would be interested in
this.  Those of you who do, please forgive me for the extra posting.  I hope
Tom gets a peek at this, cause I'm interested in what he has to say about
it.........Betty

---------------article begins here------------------
                           For Immediate Release
                           July 27, 1995

Royal Saskatchewan Museum

TYRANNOSAURUS PROBABLE SOURCE OF COPROLITE FOUND AT EASTEND

Officials of the Royal Saskatchewan Museum today announced the discovery of a
dinosaur dropping probably belonging to Tyrannosaurus rex, in the Frenchman
Valley near Eastend. The specimen is the first dropping from a T.rex ever
reported.

The specimen, called a coprolite, measures 17 x 41 x 11 centimetres and
contains many small bones. It was discovered in late June by Eastend Fossil
Research Station staff about a kilometre south of the quarry where the
partial skeleton of "Scotty", a full-grown T.rex is being excavated.

"Experts have confirmed that the specimen is the dropping of a large
carnivorous dinosaur," said Dr. John Storer, Provincial Palaeontologist. "The
only dinosaur known from the late Cretaceous rocks in North America that
could have produced such a specimen is Tyrannosaurus. This find gives us the
first direct evidence on the diet of T.rex, the largest meat-eater ever to
walk the face of the earth."

Staff of the Eastend Fossil Research Station, a satellite facility of the
Royal Saskatchewan Museum, have identified in the coprolite many bone
fragments of a large ornithischian, probably a duck-billed or horned
dinosaur.

Excavation of "Scotty", the T.rex skeleton found near Eastend, will be
completed this summer. A five ton block of fossils and rock is nearly ready
to be removed from the quarry. Plaster and heavy timbers will protect the
bones until they can be prepared in the laboratory.

Visitors to the Eastend Fossil Research Station can watch these bones being
cleaned and repaired, and can see many of the new finds from southwestern
Saskatchewan, including the new Tyrannosaurus coprolite.

More than 2200 people have toured the new field station since it opened in
late May and approximately 600 people have visited the quarry site since July
1. Tours to the quarry site are being conducted by the Eastend Community
Tourism Authority.
-30-

For more information contact:
John E. Storer, Provincial Paleontologist
Royal Saskatchewan Museum
phone (306) 787-2826
fax   (306) 787-2645

or