Re: Re: Tyrannosaurs

>>                Tarbosaurus
>>                  Tarbosaurus efremovi
>
>Whatever happened to Tarbosaurus bataar?

Okay, here it is as short & sweet as I can make it.

In 1955, Maleev named a buttload (highly technical term) of new
tyrannosaurids.  Among these were Tyrannosaurus bataar, Tarbosaurus
efremovi, Gorgosaurus lancinator, Gorgosaurus novojilovi.  He considered
these distinct species.

By the 1970s, most people lumped most or all of the Nemegtian tyrannosaurids
into a single species and genus.  By priority, the species name would be
"bataar" and the genus "Tarbosaurus" (if it is regarded as distinct from T.
rex).

In the 1980s both Greg Paul and Ken Carpenter agreed that the Mongolian
species belonged in the same genus as T. rex.  Thus, you can find several
modern works referring the large Mongolian theropods to the genus
Tarbosaurus bataar.  GSP regarded "Gorgosaurus novojilovi" as a juvenile T.
bataar; KC made it a new genus, Maleevosaurus.

In the 1990s, several workers are analysing the ingroup
systematics of the Tyrannosauridae.  One such worker (who shall remain
nameless, and enjoying the nice Spring weather right now...) has rexamined
all the types, and informs me that Tarbosaurus efremovi and Tyrannosaurus
bataar are distinct species and genera, that the former is not referrable to
the genus Tyrannosaurus, and that the latter is referrable to the genus
Tyrannosaurus. George Olshevsky came to a similar conclusion, but regards
"Tyrannosaurus" bataar as distinct from Tyrannosaurus, and made it the type
of his new genus, Jenghizkhan.

Does this help?

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist