Re: New dino eggs (was Dinos

                  From the Desk of Chrysalis
>  RE>New dino eggs (was Dinosaur news stories)
> >"Most were greenish grey, but a few are greyish black," the report said.
> >The shells were fairly thin, measuring between .0156 cms

[inches??]

>> (0.4 mm) and .0312
> >cms (0.8 mm) in thickness while a layer of membrane was found beneath the
> >shell's surface.

Then Chris wrote.....

> There was a discussion on egg shell thickness a while back. With egg shells
> this thin I don't see how it could have been a hard shell and been strong
> enough. It seems to me these thin shells (and not necessarily other dino
> eggs) must have been a more leathery type like current reptiles.

I think that 0.4- 0.8 mm is reasonably thick for the egg shell.  I'm
not sure how thick an ostrich egg is offhand, but I suspect that it
is of comparable thickness.  There may have been a little bit of
pressure solution, or calcium up-take by the growing embryo, that could
have caused a thinning of the shell also.

Neil