Re: dino eyeballs

        On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Betty Cunningham (alias the flying
goat) asked:

>. . . Do crocodiles have round pupils or slits (and if slits, which way
>do they slit?).

        Like other nocturnal animals, crocodylians pupils close
to a vertical slit in bright light.

>Do crocodiles and other large modern reptiles show whites of the
>eyes?

        No, the whites of the eye do not show in crocodylians.  I
suspect that this is also the case for other large reptiles.  The colour
(color if you can not spell) of a crocodylian's eye is usually a pretty
good match for that of its skin; so in most cases baby puke orange or
greeny brown.

>    Are we looking at the high probability that dinosaurs had round
>eyes that showed no whites?  It would seem that in 145 million
>years, some variations in eye shape might have come up:  it hasn't
>taken mammals more than 70 million years to come up with the
>variety they have, (and conversely, why don't birds, with 85? million
>years behind them show more variety as to shape (not color).

Cheers,

Steve Salisbury
Vertebrate Palaeontology Laboratory
School of Biological Sciences