Re: Re:

>> WHAT IS A colugo? supposed to be a gliding mammal of some sort.
>
>According to an on-line dictionary:
>
>  [co-lu-go]
>   (k@-loo--'go-)
>
>  (NOUN): co-lu-gos.
>     The flying lemur.
>
>  ETYMOLOGY
>      Malay.

Colugos (for which I can't remember the generic and specific nomen, but will
recognize them instantly when I hear them! ;-) ) are the only surviving
members of the mammalian order Dermoptera.  They are not true primates, but
(with Chiroptera [bats], Scandentia [tree shrews], and Primates) are part of
the mammalian clade Archonta, an ancient lineage arboreal placentals.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland