Re: re:no subject (Steve's questions)

>     =============
>     >SUE: what is "BHI"? I understand the need for acronyms and
>     >abbreviations and use them (too much) in my own work, but could
>     >someone translate that for me?
>
>     BHI=Black Hills Institute of (South? North?) Dakota, the institute
>     that was doing the dig and actually dug up Sue.
>
>     =============
>
>     >EXTINCTION THEORY: The first serious theory I heard on this, maybe
>     >15-20 years ago on TV (Nova?) was that a big meteor/comet had struck
>     >in the North Atlantic and fracture the joint between plates to create
>     >a really big busted up zone with lots of lava leaks. This zone became
>     >a five-million-year volcano now known as Iceland. Conveniently,
>     >Iceland was formed by a long series of eruptions
>     >in the 60-70 million years ago area......
>
>     I believe Iceland is actually one of the OLDEST landmasses, not the
>     youngest, as this would lead me to believe.   Of course I'm at work,
>     and have no references for ACTUAL dates.  Perhaps they were discussing
>     the Deccan Lava Flows of India from around the dates you are
>     mentioning?

Iceland is by far one of the YOUNGEST landmasses, and is much, much younger
than the Cretaceous.  It continues to form today.  Had there been any land
where Iceland is today in the Cretaceous, this land would now be accreated
along the eastern coast of North America and the western coast of northern
Europe by the forces of sea floor spreading.

However, some people did suggest that Iceland was the impact site, because
back in the early 1980s, people were suggesting EVERYPLACE was the impact
site.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology