Re: Books on my Wish List

At 8:52 PM 8/20/95, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>Nah--Last I heard, mosasaurs were related to varanid lizards. (Someone update
>me if I'm wrong!)

        This is still, to the best of my knowledge, the community opinion,
but I recently talked to Gordon Bell (SDSM), a mosasaur researcher, and
he's leaning more now towards a non-varanid origin (and polyphyly for the
mosasaurs), pointing instead towards the poorly-known "reptiliform"
_Coniasaurus_ instead.  I don't have any details beyond that, sorry!

Jerry D. Harris
Schuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750395