re:Spinosaurus

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Cunningham, Betty wrote:

>      Greg,
>      remember that dinosaurs shed their teeth like sharks, so teeth are
>      the most numerous remains left to us of any species (usually).  I have
>      also seen MANY supposed Spinosaurus teeth at West Coast rocks and
>      minerals shows: I counted 20 different teeth at 4 different dealers at
>      one show alone, all labelled as Spinosaurus, all having the same look
>      and color, all from Morrocco.  I have also seen someone on the
>      rocks-and-fossils list advertising trips into Morooco to collect same.
>      Maybe there really are a lot of Spinosaurus teeth out there.

Well, I paid about $15 for mine, so I didn't think I was going to be
putting any museums or universities in a bad spot.  Actually one of my
favorite finds was the piece of dino dung that I bought for $2.50.  I
love putting it into someones hand and then telling them what it is.  The
reactions have been mixed.

Neophite question:  Dinosaurs shed teeth?  I'd thought they might have
broken off or gotten separated from a jaw after death, but I didn't know
that they shed them.  I under stand that sharks shed teeth all the time
and that they have rows and rows of replacements.  I suppose I may have
been a bit anthropamorphic in assuming that they were like mammals and
teeth were permanent.

This tooth is about 1 inch to what looks like the pit of the root.  It is
conicle in shape, has several flutes running parallel to the face of one
side, but is not serrated.  It may not be a Spinosaurus tooth, but I
think I'll just keep believing htat it is.  It's more fun.

        Greg Claytor
        greg1@svpal.org
        Dino Nut