Re: No Subject

In a message dated 95-08-17 03:29:37 EDT, steve.cole@genie.geis.com writes:

>SUE: what is "BHI"? I understand the need for acronyms and
>abbreviations and use them (too much) in my own work, but could
>someone translate that for me?

BHI: Black Hills Institute. Peter Larson and Co.'s outfit in South Dakota,
presently embroiled in a legal battle over ownership rights of the
tyrannosaurinid skeleton they name "Sue." You'll probably get a fistful of
replies to this query!

>ALBERTASAURUS: what's this about a new name? I have old Albert's
>tooth in the den and I want to know if I need to change the little
>brass nameplate on it. What's the story? I'll trust you on the
>references (no time to hunt them down anyway), just the story
>will do nicely.

There may be several genera of closely related tyrannosaurids lumped into the
genus _Albertosaurus_. You can't tell them apart by tooth morphology,
however. You should change the brass nameplate to read _Deinodon_,
historically the first name ever given to a tyrannosaurid, based entirely on
non-diagnostic teeth. Then at least you would not be misled into thinking you
have a better-known genus than you do.

>ROSTRAL/CAUDAL: Thanks for a fascinating explanation of this subject.
>It was as lively as it was illuminating.

I agree! Loved it!

>EXTINCTION THEORY: The first serious theory I heard on this, maybe
>15-20 years ago on TV (Nova?)...

Yes, I believe it was NOVA. On TV, anyway.

> was that a big meteor/comet had
>struck in the North Atlantic and fracture the joint between plates
>to create a really big busted up zone with lots of lava leaks.
>This zone became a five-million-year volcano now known as Iceland.
>Conveniently, Iceland was formed by a long series of eruptions
>in the 60-70 million years ago area. Just luckily, volcanoes are
>one of the best producers of iridium (we all know about 'the layer'
>that is all over the world at the KT boundary right?).
>Now, what's curious about this is except for that one TV show, I
>have never seen anything said or written or on TV regarding the
>Iceland theory. Everything focuses on one big hit (Yucatan?)
>followed by a few years of dust in the sky and mass death.
>This theory is then rejected as obviously wrong since the dust
>from such a strike would settle out in 5 years max and lots of
>species could survive that. But what species could survive
>FIVE MILLION YEARS of gloom and clouds and smoke and shadow
>from that gigantic smokestack that was (for those years) Iceland?
>So, if (to me anyway) Iceland+5,000,000 makes more sense than
>Yucatan+5, what happened when I wasn't looking to cause the Iceland
>theory to be dropped and never mentioned again?

Good question. The gigantic smokestack may have been in the Deccan of India,
however. I never had a chance to follow this up myself, either.

G.O.