Re: SPINOSAURID SKULLS

>BIRD SPECIES
>
>As of last year, there were... 9523 extant bird species in 1917 genera (this
>count includes _Xenoperdix udzungwensis_, the most recently discovered bird I
>am aware of). Would someone please tell Bob Bakker... maybe then he'd stop
using
>'8000' or '8300' as species estimates.

>DARREN NAISH

The discrepancy has far more to do with taxonomy than discovery - Sibley and
Monroe, the most recent (and still controversial) classification of the
birds of the world, "split" a great many taxa formerly considered as single
species.

As for new discoveries - there are even more recent ones (at least, more
recently described) than Xenoperdix (which, alas, may already be extinct -
recent searches in its habitat have failed to find it).  A recent issue of
the Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club [(1995) Vol. 115(2)]
includes descriptions of a new shearwater, Puffinus atrodorsalis, from the
Indian Ocean, and a new flycatcher, Phylloscartes beckeri, from Bahia,
Brazil (the latter discovered, along with a new spinetail, in August 1993).
Xenoperdix is certainly the most distinctive new species of bird described
recently, though.

I am interested in this, as it happens, because I am working on a children's
book on newly described species of animals.  So if anyone turns up a living
pterosaur or something, please let me know!
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5